20 May 2013

Talking about culture: Finnish Music


Andreas, Austria
Spring 2012
Media and Communication

Why should somebody go to the north? Because it's interesting to experience another climate? Live in the darkness? Stay cold? Those were some reasons for me to go to Finland. But there was something else. Something that is a big part of my life. The music. I'm basically open for nearly every kind of music, but there's one genre I like more than anything else: Heavy Metal.

So before I went to Finland, I already knew some bands like Stone, a legendary Thrash Metal band, the incredible Death Metal band Children Of Bodom or Apocalyptica, those awesome guys who cover Metal songs on stringed bowed instruments. With that in mind, I was totally excited about getting to know the Finnish music scene.

When I arrived, I tried to get to a concert as soon as possible. The very first one I went to with some already new found friends was taking place in Bar Monttu. There was a band playing called Two-By-Four from Turku, and the second one Jet Black from Pori. Both of them played a sort of Metal and 6 euro entry were quite cheap. Well, of course the beer was 5,80, so after all it wasn't THAT cheap. But the bands were awesome, it was like the perfect Welcome-To-Finland-Concert. After they'd finished, I went up to the singer of Two-By-Four and asked him about a CD. They had already sold out, but he said if I'd write him an E-Mail, he would send me one. So I did, and for again very cheap 17 euro including the forwarding he not just sent me the CD but also a T-Shirt.

After this first great experience with the Finnish music scene I wanted to get to know more. I went to several other concerts, and my Finnish friends showed me more interesting bands. Another nice thing happened at the Montun Indie Fest. I bought a CD from Streak And The Raven, not for myself, but for my girlfriend. So they gave me another CD with that one, called Kasetti 2012 - The Ultimate Mixtape of Seinäjoen seutu. It features several bands from that area, from nice Indie pop to Black Metal. Great music.

So when I came home I had a load of CDs and Vinyls with me, as I was hoping for. What's interesting too is the Finnish Karaoke culture, where everyone sings and screams mostly Finnish songs. It's not just interesting to see them sing, but also to read the lyrics on the screen and be fascinated by the long words in this awesome language.

Actually it's too bad that I can't understand the language, but for some Songs I already looked up the translation. Like for example for Kotiteollisuus' "Pappi Puhuu", which I like to play with my guitar and is basically about the Finnish Continuation War. Kotiteollisuus definitely counts to my most favorite Finnish Bands, as they play quite hard metal songs as well as acoustic ballads. I was very happy when a Finnish friend send me a package with a record of Kotiteollisuus and a vinyl of Stam1na, when I was already back in Austria.

In Finland it's not just the music scene itself, what's really big and important. They also got a big scene of music videos and even have clip festivals just for music videos. As I'm studying video production myself, it was great to produce a music video in Finland too with the Finnish hip hop group Mustahattuiset Herrasmiehet called "Poliittinen Tapiiri".

Within the five short months, I spent in Finland, I got to know at least a bit of the Finnish music scene. It was of course a big help, that some of my Finnish friends are really into music too. For sure there is way more to experience. And still, even though I can't actually understand the lyrics, I love to listen to Finnish music like the song "Kesäyö" by Pariisin Kevät, as it was constantly played on Finnish radio when I was there. Not just because the Finnish bands are simply great, but also because listening to them reminds me of the awesome time I spent up in the north, I keep listening this music.

No comments:

Post a Comment